Thursday, May 29, 2008

Priorities

Have you ever had a day where everything you read is meant for you? The subtle, yet screaming, way of that still small voice. Today that happened to me. In one book I read a quote by Joseph B. Wirthlin:

"Sometimes we feel that the busier we are, the more important we are-as though our busyness defines our worth...We can spend a lifetime whirling about at a feverish pace, checking off list after list of things that in the end really don't matter. That we do a lot may not be so important. That we focus the energy of our minds, our hearts, and our souls on those things of eternal significance-that is essential."

Within 30 minutes of reading this quote I also read something in one of Sheri Dew's books about making life harder than it needs to be. She said that the company she works for did a survey and the most common response from more than 200 women was this: They cared greatly about feeling close to the Lord and increasing their spirituality, but didn't feel they were making much progress in that regard. And in a subsequent question asked the women to explain why they felt they weren't doing well. The answers read generally like this: "I know I should read the scriptures, but I get caught up in everyday life and don't do it. I know those things would make a difference."

I read one other thing about a lady who never found time to go to the temple...her schedule was just too busy. She finally came to the realization that she had to schedule temple attendance first and then pencil the rest of her schedule in. This actually worked.

Anyways...what a lesson this was for me (or a reminder)...that I need to get my priorities straight. Even if it means reading the scriptures for 30 minutes while my dirty dishes sit in the sink or a mindless television program gets watched just because the TV is turned on. And two times this past year I've heard conference talks on not putting your children in so many activities because it takes away from family time. And have you noticed that the church has cut back to allow more family time also...Primary activities have been cut down from 4 to 2. Enrichment night has been cut down to quarterly. Priorities, Priorities, Priorities.

3 comments:

Katie said...

This post reminded me of something I read just the other day: That day you spent wasting time having fun is not time that was wasted.

Always make time for your priorities (church, family, friends, yourself) and everything else will fall into place.

Marilee said...

Great blog! It looks fun! I really liked that quote by Joseph Wirthlin. And what ever ever ever gave you the idea that I am the biggest worry wart in the world next to Mom? Charles agrees with YOU! I just can't see where you are getting this from. ??? Marilee

nana said...

WOW. . .that made me feel a little better about myself. Getting things done just doesn't make it with me anymore. I am trying to priortize better. Thanks.