Saturday, October 18, 2008

Mom & Dad

My Mom & Dad came to visit us for a whole week. They left this morning and I already miss them. I don't think I was the best hostess this visit. They visit us at least once a year and I have run out of things to show them. I'll have to start making a list of fun things to do for the next time we have visitors.

Highlights from our visit:

  1. Since Monday was a holiday the kids did not have school. We ended up driving to Las Vegas and going to a fun park that my friend told me about. It is a really cool park. I took some pics...
  2. We watched "The Ultimate Gift". This DVD has been out for a long time, but this was the first time that we have seen it. It is really cute. I highly recommend this DVD if you haven't seen it before.
  3. Playing Games. My family is into games big time. I remember each Christmas we would get 3 or 4 games. We would open them up Christmas morning and play all day while we ate our Christmas candy. So every day while my parents were here, we stayed up past 11:00 PM playing "Hand and Foot". For those of you who don't know, this is a really fun card game.
  4. Cookies, Ice Cream, Brownies, and so on. My Mom loves to bake cookies. She has never visited my house without buying chocolate chips and baking cookies. She bakes cookies when she is nervous, bored, happy, scared, anxious, excited, and so on. I love her baking, but this week she was a nervous wreck over my sister moving to MN and so she baked all week long. She baked 2 different kinds of cookies, a sheet of brownies, and made root beer floats twice. Now those who are an avid blog follower of mine know that I am trying to lose weight. I only exercised twice this week on top of eating too much junk. I had lost 11 pounds in the past month and I'm hoping to have not gained any of that weight back. I'm scared to even check. Upon parting, we both vowed to lose 5 pounds in the near future.
  5. The kids played the "Pillow Game" with Grandpa. When I was a kid my Dad would pretend I was his pillow and I would laugh. He would say, "Pillows don't laugh...Pillows don't move...pillows can't talk, etc". Well he has continued this tradition with my kids and they think it is hilarious. It gets them all riled up and Grandpa is the best. My girls told me they were getting all "fluffed up" for when Grandpa gets here. The down side....apparently Jordan jumped off of the couch onto Grandpa and he was in pain all week long. So...I need to monitor this game if they play it in the future. Sorry Grandpa!
  6. Hair Cuts! My Mom has a talent for cutting hair. I wonder sometimes if she regrets having this talent because with 8 kids, their spouses, and 30 grandchildren this turns out to be a part-time job. Four of us got hair cuts this week. :)
  7. Visiting. Although we didn't do much of anything it was fun to just spend time with my Mom and Dad!

Thanks Mom and Dad for coming to visit us. (And a special thanks to my Mom for doing all of my laundry for me this week...woo hoo!)

9 comments:

PeavoyMom said...

Okay, first I love your weather gadget. very cool. I might steal it. Next, your parents sound really cool. We spent the week in Mexico with mine, and we had a blast too. I love the pillow game. We play it too, only you take it to the next level. We also love the park you went too. Did Amber tell you about it? The splash pad is awesome, and the park is HUGE!!!

Katie said...

Sounds like a nice visit was had by all. But how dare your mother bake and bake and bake when you're trying to eat healthy! But I bet it tasted oh so good, am I right?!

Kelli said...

Hey Kristi, thanks for leaving comments on our family blog. Thanks also for the links to other Russell family blogs. I see you live in Nevada--I didn't know that! How long have you been living there? We have been in Bend, OR for almost 3 years now. What cute kids you have!

Andi said...

Ultimate gift is pretty good. I'm sure Aunt Sandy's cookies are too! ;) Good luck on those 5 pounds. Whenever I watch Biggest Loser, I think of you, and know your watching too!

Kristi said...

Kym-Actually, it was Amie who told me about the park...totally awesome.

Kelli-We've lived in NV for nearly 5 years. How time flies?!

Kathryn said...

Don't beat yourself up over the food and weight. Tomorrow you can start again...thats what I always tell myself. You can do it. I am over two weeks sugar free. Yeah! I think I need to know about this park. Your Mom and Dad are great, I bet you are missing them.

Marilee said...

Okay Kristi, that park looked really fun but I have to ask - where was the grass???? And how about trees??? I need green. I am the opposite of Bella on that.
Also, Mom said that you put a lot of rude things in your blog about her but I thought that everything sounded normal to me. What was she talking about. I am glad that you had a fun time. I have been meaning to call you and see how life after Mom and Dad has been.

Kristi said...

Marilee-There actually is green grass and trees at this park, but there just wasn't any in the pictures. :)

nana said...

I can understand missing the "green" and the change of seasons. Andi tells me she loves the desert. I just have to remember how much her allergies bother her when she comes home and THEN it makes sense. Your family is so cute! I'm glad that your parents can come see you.