Monday, March 30, 2009

Klutzy me!

The other day my vegetable lasagna came to life and jumped right out of my hands. After doing a little dance, it flipped upside down on the inside of my oven door. Okay, Okay...so I may have contributed a little bit to it's little dance. After scooping off the top of the lasagna back into the pan and cleaning the inside of the oven door at a temperature of 375 degrees, I decided an oven cleaning was in order. In my earlier married years I was intimidated by cleaning an oven. It looked so difficult and I just didn't want to deal with it. I remember my Mom cleaning my oven when I moved out of my house in Roy, UT. Now, however, after owning a cleaning business and cleaning SEVERAL ovens, I learned that ovens are very easy...as long as you know all the tricks.

I thought I would share a few tips on oven cleaning. I know that most ovens these days are self cleaning ovens, but I hate using them. Every time I do...it doesn't come out as clean and shiny as using oven cleaner. I like using fume free Easy off oven cleaner...safe for self cleaning ovens. Here are a few easy steps:
  • Spray Oven and racks. Close Oven and let sit. (I like to let it sit for a few hours)
  • Take racks out and wash with SOS pads. Rinse, Dry.
  • Take a tile and glass scraper (This is a razor blade...found in paint section at department stores) and scrape the entire bottom of oven and the oven door. (Make sure it is a new razor blade) THIS STEP IS A LIFE SAVER!
  • Wash sides of oven with SOS pad
  • Wipe out with old rag or paper towels.
  • Shine oven with glass cleaner and paper towels

Another tip: You can put your racks in a large heavy garbage sack and pour ammonia in the bag. Close the bag up tight and let sit several hours. Take the racks out and rinse. All the black stuff will just fall right off. CAUTION: The ammonia is very strong. So be careful when taking the racks out.

The Before Picture:

25 Minutes later:
I hope this helps anyone who feels intimidated to clean their oven!

3 comments:

nana said...

WOW!! I could have used that information about 25 years ago. I wasted a lot of time with paper towels and rags that left lint. I am now at a point in my life where self-cleaning is great. . .I think I will try the razor blade on the glass door.

Kathryn said...

What is your going rate? Cleaning my oven always seems to be a chore that I put off for another day or for the inevitable spill. It looks great! Thanks for the tips.

Katie said...

We have a self-cleaning oven, but it takes so long to clean, not to mention smelly, that I haven't found the time or a warm enough day to open windows to clean it (and it's in serious need of a cleaning thanks to spilled food). Thanks for the tip! BTW, got a good way to get rid of the ring in my toilet? Or is it there forever?